View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 09:15 AM   #16
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
Read Chevy's own ad copy, I'm telling you what they thought. Yes the ZL1 in '69 was a brute, raw horsepower and great for 1/4 mile runs. Obviously though, an obscure engine package that was not a general production package (remember, only 69 ZL1s were made that year) could not be the top dog production model. I don't think anyone argues that the COPOs or the Yenko, Balwin/Motion, etc. Camaros were the top dog production package either. I think the Z/28 qualified as a general production package since a little over 20,000 of them were made in '69. The argument by many has always been that the SS (especially the BB 396cid versions) were the top dog production Camaro back then, this brochure from Chevy back then seems to say otherwise in Chevrolet's opinion (and they do mention BB 396 in the text).
Clyde
Have you ever ridden in a stock 302 powered z/28 from the 60's? No torque off the line unless it's wound up and yes they could wind high, but if we were talking stoplight to stoplight or even on the strip you couldn't beat the torque of the big block. Put the aluminum heads on with a check of the block and you're close enough to that small block's weight.
Z's were king on the windy's but not at the strip.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote