View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014, 01:36 PM   #4
Good_Times

Drives: red
I'm not sure where to start but I'm old and easily confused. You discuss multiple grits for wet or color sanding but mention denim pads for leveling. You bought a 3401 flex but are now talking on moving up to a rotary. Lets start with the dirt or dust nibs you posted. There are many dust nib tools on the market . They start with high dollar pneumatic units to simple hand de-nib block units. As ihaveacamaro mentioned wet sanding OEM is not without risk. Can it be done ? Yep. Chance of screwing up. Yep. A paint gauge will increase the odds of success and is cheaper then a paint repair even if you are the painter. We all know paint and materials aren't cheap. So before doing any of this on your baby or a friends ride please grab a hood or used panel at a local bodyshop till you are comfortable with the process. If I can find it my 2002 Firebird was the subject of a thread on MOL ( Meguiarsonline ) of being wet sanded to remove factory orange peel. Chris Dasher out of Evansville In. He used a Porter Cable 7336 and some test Meguiars mf pads, a paint gauge and D300 before being introduced to the public. The car is a 24,000 mile garage queen and the paint still looks fantastic.
Good_Times is offline   Reply With Quote