View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
Photos of Stock Speakers: Boston vs Non Boston

I thought I would share some photos that I took of the factory speakers for the 2010 Camaro to give you an idea what your speakers look like without dissecting your car. These are just extras I bought for various projects. Maybe we could sticky this and add to it as we get more photos.

Let's start with the front door speakers. The front speakers in both the Boston and Non Boston Systems appear to be very very similar. You wouldn't think this was the case at all since us Boston guys paid $500 extra for our system--only to have the same front speakers as the standard audio system. One would naturally think All the speakers would be different in addition to the boston amp running them. The difference in the output of these two systems is in the amp and rear speakers--not because the front speakers are any different or better. The only real difference I see between these two is the impedence rating on the part number sticker. The boston is 2ohm and the base speaker is 4ohm. The plastic casing is identical in both and therefore would be interchangeable from one system to the next.

As you can see, the door speakers are built into a plastic pod that is several inches tall. Attempting to replace these is not an easy task. You will likely have to build a similar pod or gut the factory one to mount your new speaker into.

Even the part number is the same. Here's the back side comparison

Unfortunately I don't have a Boston door tweeter to show. I would be interested if anyone has taken photos of the door tweeter or the factory wiring inside the doors.

Now to the rear speakers

The rear 6x9 speakers are actually quite different. As you can see the 6x9 speakers on the base system have a paper cone tweeter, whereas the Boston tweets are mounted on a bridge and are fed by their own set of speaker wires off the amp.

The back side doesn't reveal too much, but you can see the difference in the magnet size and the 2-wire connector on the base speaker and the 4-wire connector on the boston speaker.

This photo says quite a bit to me. Notice how the boston 6x9 seems a like a giant compared to the standard speaker.

It's fairly obvious which system is going to sound better when you compare the two. For the cost, I think the boston upgrade is definitely worth it--especially since it's more easily upgradeable with the addition of our harness and a sub. It's too bad GM didn't put better speakers up front in the Boston system. This might have been a deterrant to keep guys from replacing them.

Keep in mind that if you plan to simply replace your speakers, (whichever system you have) you may get better quality sound, but are not likely to get much more output without the addition of a more powerful aftermarket amp. The factory speakers are low power speakers and are made specifically for this application. Aftermarket speakers typically require more power and the lower power from these systems just don't move them enough to satisfy.

Now you at least know what your speakers look like.

Last edited by Steve@Subthump; 11-17-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote