View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 05:11 PM   #14
PoleCat2SSRS2010
R6P Marketing Lab Rat

Drives: sometimes
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
Im sorry but I just have to ask. Why do this? Is it the weight savings? I hope its not just for strength because with time I think this trans could be one of the strongest yet with the right internal upgrades. Then as a bonus you get a very low first gear and each gear afterwards is closely matched. Another bonus is you can drive it on the highway without the revs shooting to the moon. I dont know if a trans brake has been made for this but I bet its possible so I just dont see any positives over the 6L80e. Maybe you can explain them because the only one I see is weight savings for the most hard core of drag racers. You could never tune a TH400 to your liking either.
The TH400 is rugged to say the least and has been proven over many years behind all kinds of big block applications AND all brands for high horsepower. In fact there is a over-drive application unit from Gear Vendors that won't suffer from the massive torque and still get you some more mpgs than the three speed. Not installed in the BMR car but it can be done. The only big difference is the sacrifice of the lock up converter that the TH400 doesn't use. There is a plethora of after market support and a safety bell housing available. The list goes on and on for the advantages but the trans brake is the major winner. It REALLY makes for some killer 60 foot times. Time for wheel stands and more chassis reinforcement.

I think I see a 8 inch coverter in there that should be good for est 4500 stall. A reliable combined force to be reconned with to say the least.

The LMR car BTW was converted to a TH400 about a year ago for the October LSX shootout. No longer technically qualified as the fastest A6. Current status is unkown.