View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 01:05 AM   #21
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
I read in one of the online mag's in 2014 the 'Vette gets a refresh, with a 5.5L DI motor pushing around 500HP. Maybe, in 2014, we can get that engine for the, ....cough, ....uhemmmn,....Z-28?
I really wish that the 5.5L rumour would die. I'm not even sure how its managed to persist for so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5thgen View Post
No way we'll see an over head cam V8, let alone a 5.0 in any Camaro in the next 10 years. I have heard rumblings that the Gen V V8 could go back to the old 5.7 liter size which I think would be cooler than a 5.0 but it's also been said that 5.3 and 6.2 sizes would be retained.
I'd like to see a return of the 5.7 myself, but I'm inclined to believe the rumours that GM will be using 6.2's and 5.3's. The only way a 5.7 would make sense to me is if they base their family around 3 displacements: a small one of 5L or less, the 5.7 as an intermediate truck engine/'everyday performance' V8 for cars, then a larger one (say around 6.5L) for high performance applications or when a very large V8 is needed for a truck (perhaps as the gas engine for the HD trucks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
I read somewhere that V8's might even be limited to trucks and the vette in the future..... it was speculation regarding CAFE included as impetus. Sometimes where there is smoke there is fire.

http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/...gine-guys.html
Doesn't really hold water IMO. Trucks use more V8's than cars. Trucks suck more gas than cars. Trucks still factor into CAFE. Therefore, if they were trying to improve their CAFE scores, they'd get rid of V8 trucks, V8 Camaros (and any other V8 non-Corvette cars) are hardly a blip on the radar
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote