View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #151
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Ford will need to keep it competitive at some level w/ the ZL1. What you get w/ the ZL1 though is a LOT with a few options left to drive the price up. If Ford sticks w/ the same model that they have now, you will have base and then a performance package ($$), Electronics package ($$), Recaro Seats ($$), Glass Roof ($$) ... anyway .. I can see base GT500 being UNDER the ZL1 base price. We need to remember the ZL1 will have the gas guzzler tax as well .. so they can play that ..

Either way, if you get at least the Performance Package and recaro seat option, I can see this car then being more expensive than the ZL1 .. add the electronics package and I bet you are pushing close to 60k at that point.

The price increase isn't just about the added HP on the GT500 .. they put a different engine, blower, more downforce, bigger breaks etc ... HP was probably the cheapest thing they could have done .. they could have kept the same 5.4L in there and either upped the boost or put the 2.3L TVS on there and a little more boost (remember the GT500 is low compression and built and can handle the added boost) the real deal will be the dealer markups when this car first comes out..

As far as a complete car out the door, GM did a HELL of a job w/ the ZL1 .. I say w/ the suspension setup, that car wins in the twisties for sure.. it just simply is more advance and a better setup for that environment! If they would just get the touch screen, Nav, and electronics that FORD offers as far as entertainment and climate control .. that would be over the top!

Crowley
I almost completely agree, except for the price... I don't see the base price being under the ZL1 at all. Then if they don't have the base model evenly compared to the "BASE" ZL1, meaning you have to make all those option add ons like you listed (like they normally do), the car is going to be WELL into the 60's. You even give the case for me because of all the retooling and changes they made, just like the ZL1 did over the SS.