View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #14
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by My 5th View Post
I'm still a few months away from even getting my Camaro, but I've been checking the options, and decided coilovers and swaybars is what I want to add to the car as soon as I can, but I want to know what is the difference between Pfadt's coilovers and Pedders? It looks like the Pfadt are more expensive--what is it in your product that makes it worth more? Features, materials, performance, ride quality, adjustability....?

Since I can't do too much wrenching at my home now (snoopy wife and lack of tools) I'm looking to have the install done by someone who knows what they're doing, and since Pfadt's shop is only a few blocks from where I work you've got a leg up. Do you even do local installs? I'm interested in your response. Thanks.
Because we have not officially launched our coilovers yet, there is not a tremendous amout of details out there on them. I'll try to fill in a few of the high points of what is coming very soon. Those of you who made it to SEMA could see the package, but that has been the only real public showing. I've added some info below in regards to the features of the Pfadt coilovers and why they are a bit more expensive as a result.

The main features of our Pfadt Coilovers:

*Inverted monotube design in on the front strut. This provides that really large shaft section that you see with our front coilover. That is important because the front strut takes cornering loads in these cars and the stiffer the tube, the better. This has the effect of placing the adjuster knob on the bottom of the strut for easy access. It is a click style adjuster with 20 clicks that are very positive and easy to feel. It is a simple matter of reaching around the front tire and making a couple of twists to change your damping. There are no unnecessary adjustment levels. More clicks does not mean more dampening.

*Inverted body design on the rear damper. This reduces unsprung mass (a good thing) and also places the adjuster at the bottom of the damper where you can reach it. It is also a click style adjuster wrapped around the shaft section just below the spring perch.

*Our dampers in both the front and rear feature single point adjust-ability which controls both compression and rebound damping together. This is a design that we have found to be very flexible and user friendly in our Corvette offerings. Basically, you do not need to be a damper engineer to be comfortable making adjustments and it is easy to switch from a 'street' setup to a 'track' setup with just a few clicks.

*Our damper are mono-tube design and feature a separate internal gas chamber, which in the industry is referred to as 'non-emulsion' design. Mono-tube non-emulsion shocks are what you find on most every production based race car everywhere. It is the best design and provides the most consistent and reliable operation. Many of the other offerings for the Camaro are not, ask the manufacturer if you are curious.

*Our coilovers take a 'standard' flat ground race spring. Many other use a custom spring to fit the Camaro specifically. Using a standard spring size allows extreme flexibility in spring rate choice. You can call up any race supplier and order springs in 25 lb/in increments that will work on our coilovers. We provide a set with our coilovers that will work well for most people, but the flexibility is there for those who want it.

*Our Coilovers work with our Pfadt camber plates. Adjust front camber easily, quickly, and in a repeatable fashion. These are good for well over an extra degree of negative camber (relative to the OEM adjustment). These are available separately, for the OEM strut, or our coilovers.

*Our Rear Coilovers address the misalignment of the shock and spring during bump and rebound by locating both on the same axis that articulates in our upper mount. We are the only manufacture that does this, most just use a custom wound spring that seats on the chassis like the OEM spring. Those units do not address or solve the problem whatsoever. We address the problem up front with our Pfadt Camber/Caster plates.

*Our coilover design has been the result of extensive testing, and engineering analysis. We have these capabilities in-house, and exploit this at every opportunity. Our company has expertise built on OE engineering, and actual motorsport experience.

As I mentioned in a previous post, another benefit of our company is that we are here to talk to you. If you want to speak with one of our engineers, just give us a call. We pride ourselves on customer interaction. I hope the points outlined above give you a good idea of the differences. Please get in touch with us if you need any further info, we appreciate it. Thanks!

Last edited by PfadtRacing; 05-05-2010 at 12:11 PM.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote