View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
DIY: Change your door panel LED color!

Something I wanted to do from day one.....get rid of the STOOOOPID blue LED's in the door panels. I asked around and fl1ck knew what to do. Thanks bro! He confirmed one or two things with someone and we were SET!

More pics @ post #11.

Here's the stock blue:

Use a 7MM to take the 3 screws out around the door(1 near tweeter and 2 along the bottom):

After using anything you can to take off the rubber/plastic covers....use a T30 for the door pull and the 7MM again for the one behind the door handle:

Don't forget to pop off the tweeter....dash trim tool and a little love will get it off.....don't forget the quick release for the wiring.

Pull on the door panels and it will unsnap from the door itself. You can reach everything you need to from there without actually removing the whole panel(although it might be easier)

Now it's time to take out the old LEDs: There is a small square (identical to the one above my thumb in the pic below)that holds the plastic piece that contains the LED in place that connects directly with the bar that displays the light in the door panel. The light bar below is seen as a white line that crosses my hand. Use a T10 to remove the plastic retainer and the wiring clicks out at the left end of the light bar.....of what equals to a quick release tab at each end(the wiring, not the light bar). Remove this wire

Remove this entire wire ^ to prep for soldering. The most difficult part is taking the LED out of the plastic casing that holds the LED. Best of luck as it takes a little mickey mousing. We used a dentist type (oil filter) tool with a tiny point to release the casing retainer clips that hold the cover on: (casing on left and cover on the right of below pic)

Clip off the old LED being careful to leave enough to solder together with new LED:

With fl1cks guidance.....the longer end represents the POS side that needs to be soldered to the red wire. (the side with the resistor is soldered to the shorter one. If you look close, you can see in the LED itself and see a bigger and smaller piece and the POS is the smaller side (this becomes important if/when you snip off the ends of the LED to shorten it up for easier fitment to go back into the plastic casing shown above(after soldering).

After soldering together....testing, taping(electrical tape to keep the wires from touching one another) and reinstalling.....
WHITE:

RED:

I tried red and white and decided on red to match my red boost and A/F gauge pods.

After we got mine done, we knocked out fl1cks in white!

PM with questions if needed. Thanks again fl1ck

FYI, it took less than 3 hrs total TO DO BOTH CARS, INCLUDING me re-doing the drivers side in my car to match in red.

Last edited by SUKXOST; 03-17-2013 at 07:18 PM.
SUKXOST is offline   Reply With Quote