View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
WildClay

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTucker View Post
The new ECMs can tell how many times they've been flashed and can lead to the dealer investigating it further. The people that say they are keeping a spare ECM around haven't thought through what I'd call a "catastrophic" failure. In this scenario of powertrain failure, it will be really hard to just throw the new ECM in and get believable data into it before you take it to the dealer.

These days, a powertrain failure WILL get a regional rep involved and they will care whether you have "tuned" your car. Its a new GM and they pay quite a bit more attention to big warranty payouts.
Thanks for a very clear answer on this, I am a total newbie to doing anything to a stock engine/drivetrain, but as I was reading all of the posts on tuning it sounded like an inexpensive way to get better performance from even an engine with all stock parts (no changes). After your post it does not sound worth the warranty risk unless I plan to add after-market parts.

That leads me to one question, if I get GM certified performance parts that would require a change in the tuning config, would GM do the tune and keep the warranty intact? (I would be looking at GM to install also)

Sorry in advance for the newbie question in this section but this seems to be the section where the experts are...
3800 - 9/9/9 - Produced
5000 - 9/16/9 - Delivered to Dealer
6000 - 9/17/9 - Delivered to Customer

Many Thanks to CamaroScotty and a friend at GM!! Dealer and GM Customer Service at its best!
WildClay is offline   Reply With Quote