View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 07:07 AM   #153
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I just watched this video for about the 100th time. Forgive me if I've missed any post prior to mine, but has anyone noticed the telemetry on the throttle and brakes? It looks to me that when on the brakes, the track and 'G indicator glow nice and a rich red. When there's no throttle or brake input, it's pretty much black, or a dark cobalt. When Mr. Link is on the gas, though, it's a nice rich green.

While it's crazy-easy for me to play a back-seat-driver, and while my direct experience with the 'Ring is embarassingly limited only to video games, it seems to me that there was a potential to lean on the gas more than he had, on the whole. I will absolutely recognize that not knowing the dynamics of ZL1 over the portions while I've noticed he was hardly applying throttle are probably because he's at or near the limit of the car, when I've done some minor driving, I'm either on the gas or on the brake slowing down. There were many times down the back straight where he wasn't accelerating, and many times earlier in the track where it was similar. Again, I'm sure it wasn't for a lack of nerves. I am only suggesting that there could be more potential with even better tires and future tuning, like ZR1 and Z06 have enjoyed.

My hat is off to Mr. Link, though - honestly. I know I couldn't drive that fast, though, I might think I could from time-to-time That was a GREAT run
A professional driver with 40 laps around the track... I am sure he got the best time out of it he could. At the cost to go run the car GM is not going to put a subpar number out there if they know they can beat it. These runs are stock factory cars so you are seeing the limits of the car. The ZL1 will never compete with the ZR1 around the Ring simply due to aerodynamics. Sorry but the Camaro is a big blocky car and not really made to track. Its more of a drag car if anything... but it still put some respectable numbers down. I have been watching these Ring runs for a while since I am a former Viper owner. I hate seeing the "what ifs" starting to fly... and it always happens. Bottom line is its a factory car (no tune, no upgraded tires... just the way you buy it off the showroom floor) and they will have a first class driver. Sure they may get a second or two more out of it... but not 20 seconds to get it close to the ZR1.... or 30+ to get it near the Viper ACR.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote