Thread: Sport Mode?
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 06:45 PM   #17
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post
To get the best power out of your car you should take a look at the torque curve for your motor (this can be obtained through a dyno). I don't have one handy for the camaro v6 but usually the peek power for a V6 is between 2500-5500 RPMs. Assuming 2500-5500 was the case you would want to take every gear up to 5500 RPMs and then shift and let it climb back up.

Sport mode doesn't necessarily do this for you, but it also doesn't try to downshift all the time like regular drive does (I miss not having a sport mode in my charger). Not downshifting allows you to stay near your peek power for more of the time, hence you get a more aggressive car.
This is only partly correct. You want to maximize your power through the entire pull, which for the 1/4 mile is several gears. While a car's peak power may be at say 5500 RPM, you also have to worry about what RPM range you will be in after the shift. If that is lower than what you would be at say 6000 RPM, then you should delay your shift to at least 6000. For the V6 (both manual and automatic) it is best to shift from 1st to 2nd as close to redline as you can, and at about 6700 RPM after that. Of course this will change depending on your mods.