View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #196
IMJ

Drives: 2012 SS LS3 | Silver Frost Metallic
LOOOoottts of bad or exaggerated posting in this thread ranging from power gains, to actual gas mileage numbers, to the analysis of the V6 to V8 performance. Seriously, a lot of the posters in this thread have attitudes I've typically associated with "Mustang guys" instead of a Camaro group in my time on the road (not extending this generalization to the people making truly reasonable comments here by any means...).

The answer to the thread's question is simple - the V6 Camaro makes enough power and torque to move the heavy car with muscle leftover for hard acceleration. That's the answer for real drivers. For drivers looking for the "power thrill" I'd say that the V6 is a monster engine as is, but it'd be nice if Chevy could eek 345 stock horsepower and a matching torque curve to boot (gained from engine architecture rather than airboxes or exhausts). Then the V6 would undeniably be the all around engine to beat, proportionate to other V6's and most V8's.

The SS is probably a ton fun, but the V6 is still a shining example of motor tech and generally a better buy in every way.

Also, for any of the younger guys or kids considering the car - disregard any dipshit who tells you that any given upgrade is "only another $9 or 10k". That's the worst car-guy, blowhard, misleading advice you could get. Another 10k on top of any bill changes the cost paradigm completely. People who flippantly tell you "just to drop the extra 10k" most likely have $550.00+ payments over 7 years and credit scores way below what they should be. Even a basement dweller kid just out of high school working some crumm-o job, living at home with money to burn and no friends to spend it on shouldn't buy the SS for a myriad of reasons.

Last edited by IMJ; 05-05-2011 at 11:21 AM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote