View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 04:59 PM   #21
Dr. Evil

Drives: 2013 SS
Just like in drag racing there is no single way to go about track days that is all encompassing.
A lot of track rats will tow a vehicle to/from the track complete with spares. I'm pretty sure you could shred a set of those trofeo tires on the Z in one day. The you get to drive home on them, not fun.
Other guys will want to brag about being able to drive to the track, run laps and drive the car home.

I'm not sure people who have never been on a track understand just how big a difference tires make. Going from a set of street tires like the Pirellis on the SS to a set of Hoosier R6 will make a (insert favorite adjective here, I'll use ginormous) difference in track times.
Most track days I have seen are limited to 20 or 30 minute sessions. That's long enough to get brakes/tires/engines etc. plenty hot but not like an actual race. I've swapped brake pads between sessions before and these breaks give you a chance to evaluate the cars condition and swap tires and make adjustments.
For most of these type events a properly maintained and driven street car(assuming a properly chosen platform to begin with) will be plenty fast at a fraction of the cost. I'm not trying to dampen the spirits of Z/28 fans and the makers but at this price point for track days I'm just not feeling it.

I see the new Z/28 as an exercise in engineering. More along the lines of " Hey look what we can do". Its cool and its fast and it cost a lot.
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote