View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 03:18 PM   #98
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
The top two types of damage for debris fragments were: road hazard (39%) and excessive heat (30%).

One thing this study demonstrates is that excessive heat (30%) accounts for a large percentage of tire failures. Excessive heat is generated when tires are not kept properly inflated
This goes back to my point about safety being the real issue and not retreads. Point being made here as well:
Quote:
At this time, there is no federal rule on safe minimum air pressures, but the tire industry itself says that running at less than 80% of recommended pressure is dangerous.
Currently their is no regulation of tire pressure in commercial trucking vehicles. So assuming that maybe 50% of truckers check all the pressure of all their tires at regular intervals. That still leaves 50% whom could be driving with under inflated retreads. Being said, let's make the same assumption that maybe 50% of regular people check their tire pressure at regular intervals.

Would you assume that you would see an equal amount of blow outs? I only ask this because the percentages quoted here:
Quote:
You missed a BIG fact:

* Approximately 68% of tire fragments were from retread tires and 18% were from original tread tires. The remaining 14% could not be determined.
are quoted from a blog. Not that I am disregarding the statistic, I would just like a cited source (not Wikipedia). It makes me think of an old New Yorker cartoon