View Single Post
Old 08-22-2011, 11:30 PM   #1
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Drag Racing..."Real Street Cars"

The other thread got pulled, so I never really got an answer to my question. What is a "Real Street Car".

Though I've watched drag racing for years, I've only started doing it myself for fun...as a run what you brung type deal.

I've been somewhat familiar with the various classes, so when this "real street car" was brought up, I had no idea what he was talking about.

These are the classes listed in Wikipedia. I don't see a "real street car" class. Now, I also have friends who race "what they brung", and some are even racing in the Super Stock category.

I guess it made no sense to me what the difference is. I mean, in order to do 9's, you probably need to be racing on drag slicks, not drag radials. So is this "real street car" running on slicks on the street too?

Seriously, I truly don't understand....so educate me.

Top Alcohol Dragster (TA/D)
Top Alcohol Funny Car (TA/FC). In the IHRA, Alcohol Funny Car is the fifh pro category, replacing NHRA's Pro Stock Bike.
Competition Eliminator
Pro FWD
Super Comp/Quick Rod
Super Gas/Super Rod
Super Street/Hot Rod
Super Stock
Stock
Sport Compact
Top Sportsman (NHRA and IHRA)
Top Dragster (NHRA and IHRA) In NHRA, these two classes are sometimes run together as Top Comp
Top Fuel Funny Bike (high performance 5 second bikes)
NHRA and ANDRASummit Racing series Super Pro, Pro, and bike.
Junior Dragster (racers between the ages of 8 and 18 may race a half scale version of the sport's fastest car, Top Fuel Dragster. Juniors run as following: 12.90-slower for 8-9 year olds, 10-12 year olds at 8.90, and 13-18 year olds 7.90 and slower at a top speed of 85 mph). These cars race at 1/8 mile or 1/16 mile.
NHRA new class for Juniors is JR COMP running 6.90s at a top speed of 110 miles per hour (180 km/h) (1/8 mile or 1/16 mile).

Last edited by Steve Dallas; 08-23-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Steve Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote