View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 09:32 AM   #10
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Add what RJ said to my post... It fills in the gaps very well related to other sanctioning bodies...

As for things like a cage, the general recognized rules are based on et and or mph trap speeds..

Run faster than 13.99 and you need a helmet. Faster than 11.50 and you need a helmet, fire rated jacket ( for a forced induction car), and a roll "bar." A roll bar is usually considered four points of contact... This may be and usually is bolted in.
Run faster than 10.00 and you need an 8 or ten point welded in cage... this is what I'm installing in my car... It's good down to 8.50.
Run over a certain mph and you have to have a chute... This is way over simplified for the most part...
There are a lot of other items to factor in... But they came about due to events in the past... Not just at the whim of someone in the name of safety... Almost every rule in the books are truly in the name of safety for the drivers and spectators or to make the racing equal enough to be interesting and competitive...

You can spend thousands filling in the other gaps as well... External battery shut off, fire suppression system, drive shaft loop, harness, seats etc...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote