View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Selleral,

Some suggestions: adamspolishes.com - probably one of the most invaluable things from this site is free. Review the video section and check out their forum.

You may have heard of the Junkman. Look him up on YouTube under junkman2000 or junkman2008. Watch ALL of his detailing videos.

Autogeeks.net - checkout the Tips and tricks section. Mike's videos are excellent

autopia-carcare.com - check out Todd's write ups here in the forum and on his site.

Both Autogeeks and Autopia will offer you addition products option.

The most important thing I found in all of these resources is there are commonalities in all of them that are product agnostic and expose you to slightly different techniques which IMHO is the real trick of detailing. Once you've perfected your technique, the products you use will be driven by your technique instead of The other way around.

Depending on your level "perfection" (what you personally consider a job well done) settle on it and create your technique based on that benchmark. If that benchmark is based on wash, clay, polish and wax then I'd recommend the following:

Wash - 2 bucket wash, get some 5 gallon buckets from one of the box stores and check Autogeeks or Autopia for a par of grit guards

Clay - mothers or miguires will do the job. Make sure you have a lubricant with your clay (do some research on soap and water verse detail spray. You could save some money here, but do it right)

Polish(es). Adams Shwril and Haze Remover followed by Fine Machine Polish. You'll get best results using a PC but your budget is tight, you might want to try Revive Hand Polish. Check both Autogeeks and Autopia for alternatives. (there are many)

Wax - Adams Buttery wax. Check both Autogeeks and Autopia for alternatives. (there are many)

I hope this makes sense and helps. Good luck and enjoy the passion.