Thread: Bye Bye Camaro
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #35
HeadonaStick

Drives: 2011 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by walky35 View Post
id say taking out loans for school is smart though. the statistics speak for themselves when comparing those with college degrees and those with High school ones. but thats a diff discussion
I'll use my first post here to respond to this one....

I have been out of college for over 17 years and still have 100k in college loans - and I went to a state school not a private one.

I have no hope of paying these loans off before I retire (if I retire).

There is no way, ever, to get away from college loan debt. It is the closest thing to indentured servitude left in the United States.

Students go into debt with the promise of a well paying job when they graduate - that is turning into a longshot.

My son will never, ever take out a student loan. I will sell my car, my home or anything else I have to to see that he does not have to take out loans - as long as he is willing to work to help foot the bill.

College is something that everyone should have the opportunity to experience - but the reality of student loans is becoming a bad nightmare for many, many students. My story is becoming the norm, not the exception.

Just one man's opinion.

[edit:]

LOL, I didn't mean to sound so negative. I am a teacher and believe in education. College is one of the best experiences of my life, in and out of the classroom, and everyone should go if given the opportunity - but student loans are killing me and many students are in similar situations. My only advice is use student loans sparingly and as a last resort. My very best semesters in college were when I was working 50 hours a week!

Last edited by HeadonaStick; 06-21-2013 at 10:25 AM.
HeadonaStick is offline   Reply With Quote