View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 05:02 PM   #335
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Challenger SRT8: 4100/425=9.6 lb/hp
Mustang GT: 3550/315=11.3 lb/hp

The mustang is a respectable car, don't get me wrong, but there is no comparison in the power department to the 6.1L SRT8 engine, even in that heavy car. There is a lot more potential with the challenger with the power/weight ratio advantage it has in terms of straightline performance. The Mustang would obviously be better on the track. And BTW, time to distance (0-60) is not a race, who is in front at a given distance is a race, there can be a big difference, especially by the time a 1/4 mile goes by.

This comparison only gets worse for the Mustang when you look at the Camaro.
Camaro SS: 3860/426=9.1 lb/hp

Again, I am not trashing the Mustang, it is well put together, a balanced package, and no doubt a blast to drive. But almost 20% more (peak) power for every pound is something you can feel in every gear, and in my opinion makes the Camaro the better car. I am sure you can feel the extra weight on the Camaro but to me I would rather have the power/weight ratio advantage for that put you back in your seat thrill. It is not like the Camaro doesn't have the brakes/suspension to handle the power in the corners pretty well anyway. I must admit, I doubt it will ever feel as light as the mustang, because it isn't, and that is one of the few compromises they made in my opinion to build this car.

To me the interior is pretty subjective, and for the record I like both the Camaro's and the Mustang's interior, they both have their own originality to them. The Challenger dash/gauges are too plain for the car.