View Single Post
Old 01-01-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
It's common. I've only ever had one auto loan I wasn't upside down on when I traded for a new vehicle.

Just one more reason I'd prefer to lease.

There's little you can do to control being upside down unless you have a lot of xtra money. OR take a cheap car you're not really happy with.

When I went in for my current vehicle I knew I was upside down by $3000 on my last loan. It was one thing that limited the price of the car I was looking at. I just wanted/needed a car with a lesser payment (I went from $450 to $290).

But I'd prefer having a higher payment... This car is boring and no fun to drive.

I'm willing to go 'upside down' a little if it means I can have something I like over 'just what I need'.

I'm hoping to have this current vehicle about even by the time I trade for the Camaro. It's currently about $2000 upside down. But the rate of it's depreciation seems to have leveled out (I check kbb.com every so often). So in a little over a year I should have over $3500 more paid down. I doubt it will depreciate enough by that time to remain upside down. And if it does, it won't be by much. (It will help that I put VERY few miles on my cars. I've had my car 2 Years and 8 Months. I have 19,800 miles... I should still have under 30,000 by the time I trade it.)
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote