View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 11:49 PM   #16
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSylentZL1 View Post
Exactly my point. If I have to I will ride around with those tires and just lose some grip. There is no sense to spend over 2k every year for something that will be only used 3 months out the year.
2 grand? A year?

A quick trip to TireRack.com found some 19" rims that would fit the Camaro for under $200 a pop and tires for $150. So that means an entire set can be had for less than $1,400. And while we're at it, the tires should last at least 3 years. And the wheels? Probably until you get sick of them. Of course, if you want to get high performance winter tires, or something other than cheap cast aluminum rims, it will obviously cost you a lot more.

The alternative is to buy a beater. It should last at least as long as the winter tires for a grand for the same price, if not less. But you don't have to buy the rims and by taking the ZL1 off the road you'll save quite a bit on insurance for 3 months of the year. The resale value also goes up because a) it has fewer miles on it and b) you can advertise it as never having seen a winter, particularly important for those looking to buy a used high performance car.

And keep in mind that its not only the weather that threatens your ZL1 -but all the other cars on the road. Even if you have winter tires on your car, the guy behind you in his 4x4 truck might not. You stop, he doesn't ... truck wins.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote