View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt @ FSP View Post
As with any forced induction, especially top mount SC styles, there will be additional heat going into the motor. Now add the rising ambient temperatures, so you are already taking in hot air to compress it to make it even hotter (Think about a blow dryer). A few weeks ago a friend of ours had me take his stock automatic ZL1 down track and do some logging on it. The DA was +2300 ft., so it was a pretty hot and humid night. I was seeing off the line, IAT2 temperatures (Intake Air Temperature 2 - meaning the IAT in the blower) of 140*+ on launch, and trailing up to the 170* range top track. This was making the car pull back on timing 5*+. Now, you cannot just go and delete all of these IAT safeties because of possible detonation. The higher the octane gas, the less prone to detonation (i.e. I can run C16 race gas full timing at 250*+ IAT without worry, but I would never think of running 93 pump anywhere close to that IAT).

So yes, a tune would be able to tone down this "heatsoak" adjustment that the computer is doing, but even on the really hot days or if you are tracking the car, you may still pull IAT timing out to save the motor.

Now not saying that this is for everyone out there, but this is why I recommend methanol a lot on any style forced induction, not to increase base timing, but to keep the timing in the motor with the cooler air charge.
Now where's my call?