View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
whitedemon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
DIY Sequential Taillights for approx $20

I decided i wanted to add sequential tailights to my camaro but didnt want to spend 100 bucks for them. I figured it couldn't be to hard to do so I got with my dad, who is pretty good with electronics, and we built 2 timers. Went to the shack and bought 2 of the following; a 555 timer, circuit board, capacitor, few diodes and a varaiable resistor. I had the 2 relays laying in my tool box so no reason to buy them. I dont have the schematic we used with me now, ill try to upload later. We just built the little circuit with the components and soldered everything together. Then I painted the back of the board with liquid electric tape and let dry to prevent shorting out anything. I removed the back covers over the tailights. My timers have 3 wires, ground, input and output. So i tapped in the outer light bulb ground for the ground wire and then cut the blinker bulb wire which was the yellow for left side and green for right side and installed the input-output wires to the bulb harness, all with solder and heat shrink joints of course. Then i turned on the hazard lights and used a pocket screwdriver to adjust the variable resistor until the delay was right where I wanted it. I was very pleased with the outcome of the project and I saved 80 bucks also

EDIT: SEE POST #52 FOR THE UPDATE. MOSFET WILL NEED TO BE USED, NOT A RELAY.

Here is the youtube link for the video: http://youtu.be/UjLuU-1eC0E
Attached Images

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, L99, OBX Longtube Headers, Magnaflow 3in Comp Cat Back w/ added Dynomax Bullet Race Mufflers, SCT Tuner w/ JRE Tune, CAI Black Intake w/ JRE Race Scoop, Eibach Pro Springs, Custom Sequential Tailights

Last edited by whitedemon; 01-21-2013 at 07:43 AM. Reason: SEE POST # 52
whitedemon is offline   Reply With Quote