View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 05:31 AM   #17
King Mouse

Drives: EXT
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I'd like to offer some thoughts for you to consider. Having worked in a bodyshop for a number of years, I have as much insight as a person could have who doesn't actually paint cars professionally.

Be careful whom you choose for your work. Know that the more paint you build on top of existing paint will result in the paint chipping easier and the chips will be larger. Until I left that industry a couple years ago, there were no paints that quite matched the hardness and durability of OEM paint (unless that's changed since). I could never get quite a clear answer from my management or from our PPG supplier, but it's thought it could be because they are using paints that don't have to abide by the same VOC laws that aftermarket paint companies have to (like PPG, Dupont, etc.). Also, depending on the thickness of the stripe, you could end up with build-up and a pretty noticable line in the clearcoat from it. In addition, clearcoat (well, assuming you're going to apply clearcoat over them) is not entirely clear - it has a little amber tint to it, and I've seen the addition of clearcoat alone change the color of the panel that was cleared compared to the original panels adjacent to it.

I honestly hope you find what you want and that it works to your liking. I only wanted to offer you things to consider and perhaps bring up with your shop before getting too far into this. Good luck and take some pics' and post up when you're all done
Dude,

Not to contradict you here but alot of that is not true. Cheap clears are hard. Expensive clears are soft. They are not tinted either. They are clear. A properly prepared surface will take new paint just fine.

OEM paint is as thin as it can be with an acceptable amout of orange peel. A custom paint job with have more clear applied and will also be wet sanded and buffed to remove the peel. Dealerships for the most part do not do this step either. That is why you will also get an edge. Almost any edge can be sanded and smoothed out provided enough clear was applied.

It is very possible to get stripes painted on your new camaro with professional results. Those areas, if done right, will have a better paint job on them than the factory.

Hope this clears things up (no pun intended).
King Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote