View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #1070
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
This will all come down to whether the 1LE will be able to perform and beat the mustang. The 1LE has some nice upgrades, but compared to a mustang GT with a track pack I could have saved $5-7K buying the mustang. If the 1LE can't beat the boss around a track, then it will be a sad day for GM and me.
It would be an interesting comparison doing a few laps with both cars bone stock. However anybody buying either of these cars is not likely to leave them stock. The 1LE looks to be a fantastic starting point with the heavy-duy items you would want already done by GM.

Things I would change immediately before going on the track:

Upgrade the brake lines to stainless steel and upgrade the brake fluid. You want the improved braking feel of the better lines, and the higher boiling-point of a racing brake fluid.

Things I would do over time:

I would change the wheels; I'm probably in the minority but I don't like the ZL1/1LE wheels. I would get a lighter set of 19's or maybe even 18's as a track set. And I would probably choose a different tire to chew up on the track instead of the very expensive Goodyear Supercars.

If the 1LE has the same rear cradle bushings the SS does (which it may have since I don't see anything in GM's documentation that says otherwise) then I'd definitely upgrade those to Pedder's bushings.

I'd have to see how the improved shocks the 1LE has perform but I'd still consider Pedder's coilovers unless the stock units surprise me.

I'd go with a 1-piece driveshaft from DSS to improve drive-train efficiency and get more hp to the rear wheels.

I'd change the brake rotors to the lighter 2-piece rotors from Racing Brake.

I'd get the car corner-balanced.

Intake, cam and exhaust is a whole 'nother story. I'd do those last after getting the chassis dialed in.

I think the 1LE is going to be a fantastic, reliable track car. I like the looks of the Camaro far better; although I've seen a few Mustangs on the street that look pretty good, to me the Camaro has a much more "complete" look whereas the Mustang looks like 3 different teams designed it.

As far as the Camaro beating the Mustang with a track pack; it will most likely come down to the driver. The Mustang is no slouch on the track. The Camaro should have the edge on the longer, faster tracks; it might be pretty close on shorter, slower tracks with lots of corners. But in that kind of shoot-out I would much rather be in a Camaro.

Just my 2 1/2 cents.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote