View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 09:29 PM   #67
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
A Honda Accord EX V6 coupe 6 speed manual for 28k is a lot more expensive than the base V6 Camaro which starts at 22k. At 30k, the V8 SS is in the same price range and be able to put to shame the Honda..When you compare any car, make sure you take into account the price however the best bang for your buck currently will be the 1SS Camaro vs all its American and foreign competitors. The 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe you could say will be a competitor against the Camaro V6 since it claims to reach 0-60 in 6 seconds. However I doubt the Genesis will be priced at 22k or near it.. So compare apples to apples here..
Yes, apples to apples..... a 2LT will be right at 28k. EXACTLY where the Accord EX V6 coupe 6 speed manual is. The base Camaros exist for nothing more than a price point entry. Yes, they will sell a few. But I bet there will be even fewer LS trims on dealer lots than 2SS trims. I will also bet real money that the majority of ALL Camaro sales will be the 2LT. This will be the trim GM uses to advertise and refer to when they talk about the Camaro. Leather, heated seats, put on a mooroof and boom, you can cross check every feature, to the letter (with the exception of the interior lighting package) that the Accord 6 speed has.

It is a very fair, accurate, and relevant comparison.

People looking at a 2LT might see the 1SS as very close in price, but get put off by the drop in fuel economy and premium fuel requirement. Not to mention the higher insurance. DO NOT FORGET - the SS exists mainly because of us enthusiasts. I may even go as far to say, unfortunately, that the SS Camaro may still cary a stigma for a few of the import loving crowd that big honkin V8 and SS badge on the grille must mean you still wear a mullet think Van Halen is cutting edge music - you even have the cassette tapes to prove it. Catch my drift?

THOSE are the people the 1 and 2LT must appeal to. Forget whether the SS is faster. They want sophistication. A DOHC engine. Well ballanced performance, not just a stright line shoot out (even though we all know now that the SS will not be just a straight line performer, but many people still may think of it).

You have to understand the demographic GM is appealing to with the LT.

Camaro cannot survive on just the purists, enthusiasts, and folks who only buy American. It must cross over to a path it's never traveled before, and I think GM is doing the right thing.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote