View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #14
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Well i live in Louisiana, where alot of oil comes from (the gulf). And we have refineries galore down here. All owned by different companies, Citgo, ExxonMobil, Conoco, Valero, Shell, etc.

Each one of those companies refines their own crude oil into their own gasoline, then adds their own additives, and sells it at their own gas stations.

Im not saying the fuels are very different but they dont all come from one or two refineries and change the name. Shell may have a more stringent refining process with more regulations or standards, than the conoco one for example.

Its my impression that the big gas stations refine their own, where the no name ones like "Discount Zone" or "Race Trac" just take what they can get from anywhere that will give it.

I personally believe that you cant go wrong with any of the bigger names like Shell, Exxon, etc.

Edit: After reading an article done by a chemist, it reinforces some of my points and answers some of the ones im unsure on: http://www.vettenet.org/octane.html

Though they all refine and make their own fuel, besides the no name brand places, exxon may borrow base gasoline from shell to save on shipping, etc. Exxon still adds their own additives though.

This means that the different top tier refineries probably have the same standards for base gasoline (so they can trade), then do their own additives. That article is a great read.

first off all, the crude oil is bought and sold on the global market. Texas oil could be heading for toykyo, while oil from sadi arabia may be what exxon is refining in texas.

second, the gas that is refined is sold to wholesalers. it does not go from the refinery to the gas station. most of the time, it is delivered to the wholesaler through pipelines, not trucks.

thirdly, the pipeline network is shared, and gas from many refineries will travel through those same pipes. it would impossible to separate it.

fourth, all gas has to meet very stringent standards set forth by the government. that more than anything keeps it all about the same.

and lastly, it's at the distributors that the tiny amount of additives are put in the gas.

a retail gas station is privately owned. at least the shell's, Exxon's and so forth. the large chains like walmart, sheets, and so forth of course aren't. but the private retailers can purchase gas from wherever they want.

this pretty much explains how it works
http://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/i...gasoline_where

Last edited by jd10013; 09-02-2013 at 03:05 PM.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote