View Single Post
Old 05-30-2009, 05:25 PM   #80
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondain View Post
Sounds good! Am I the only one who thought a muffler-less system would sound louder?

Also for those clamoring for dyno numbers, I dont think the numbers would increase all that much considering total airflow has not really been increased, only exhaust flow (at the expense of backpressure, mind you). That's assuming the engine is sucking in air as fast as the stock paper filter allows (unless you already did that and I can't read).

Cold air intake, plus removing the mufflers, and I would expect a bigger increase in gains.
No I have not change the air intake yet. However that is one thing I also think would really help out. Air intake and straight pipes would at most give you 5 to 10 HP in a real world dyno. But if you break it out by cost of mod for HP gained after an Air Ram intake you could get 1 HP for each 50.00. Not bad in the world of things. Add a tune and I would think that gains would be very comperable to what the high dollar mods are getting. I have to throw this out there as my opinion. This is most definately not a mod for the l99 motor. The tuning required for the kickdown system to keep it from sounding like crap when only running on four cylinders would make this not work. It is possible that a good sound could be achieved in the V6 though. I would more than likely add a big resonator to bring the tone down to a lower deeper sound. If you go in with a budget that allows for upgrades then cut the mufflers off and see where you are starting from. If it works for you go for it. If you dont like it then throw some other aftermarket parts at it.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote