View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Here's what I would do and why.

First, I don't recommend applying PPF to the whole car. That's unnecessary. I would find a detailer and talk to him about doing one of two options, and the cost differential:

1. Fully prep, clay, and polish the entire car
2. Prep, clay and polish only those areas you'd apply PPF to (front clip, hood, rear quarters)

If it's significantly cheaper, go with option 2.

The reason I differ from lscamaro in the DIY vs pro is time. You won't develop a solid technique with a buffer quickly. And time is the enemy with rock chips. So get those areas professionally detailed so that you can get the PPF on there ASAP. The reason why I prefer option 2 above is that, aside from saving you money, it will then allow you to cut your teeth in detailing on the rest of the car, where time isn't really an issue.

My #1 regret for this car was that I did not invest in PPF for my quarters and front bumper. My quarters look sandblasted after 40K miles. I strongly urge any new Camaro owner to protect these areas as the design of the car makes it exceptionally prone to rocks and debris.
If you like the look, I'd recommend getting quarter flares - I put them on right when I got my car and have never had any problems with chips anywhere other than the front of the car. I agree with CD07 that the protective film will save the front bumper and the front of the hood/quarter panels in front of the front wheels. I personally like the look of the quarter flares, and the protection they have provided for rock chips on the gills/rear quarter panels has been exceptional - I literally have none after almost 30k miles. My apologies for the poor phone picture quality but I just wanted to show you the quarter flares, they were a really easy self install.
Attached Images

ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote