View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 11:04 PM   #193
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrans5 View Post

The dash ABL was supposed to be my first mod almost two years ago, but the more I read this DIY the more indecisive I was, as to how I was going to do it. I must admit, after seeing several EL wire installs by CAMARORICK, I was pretty sure that was the route I was going to take. After all, CAMARORICK’s EL wire install really looks awesome and he does such a neat and tidy job that looks like it could be stock. Yes... you have to sand the trim... yes you have to trim some of the clips on the trim to glue the clear plastic tubing on. (to run the EL wire through). Lots of work, but in the end, the trim snaps all the way back on for that stock look with a very even glow that matches the doors very well.

So... I finally got around to starting mine this week. I decided to try TAG YOUR IT method first, seeing that it seemed very easy and was the least evasive. No sanding or trimming clips. No drilling or gluing. Just some weather stripping from the hardware store (how can this possibly work or look any good, right?). The polite kudo’s from the FBODFATHER at C5F2 didn’t hurt either . Well... I did the passenger side tonight in no time at all and my impressions are... AWESOME. I mean, man... this really looks good! Matches the doors perfectly. And simple to do. You can’t see the 2mm gap between the trim and dash during the day . And once the weather stripping is adjusted properly, the trim snapped all the way back in, (as far as it would go anyways). I think I'm going to leave it just as it is... just to see if it stays that way. I mean, how could something that easy to do, stay that way .

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this (and all) DIY .

This is my favourite read on the forum .

Ok... better include some of my crappy pictures so I don’t get the
Only thing left to do is Fix the door panels so the light goes all the way to the end.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote