View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
I found out last week that the biggest reason for warped brake rotors today is improper tightening of the lug nuts.
The wheels on my HHR started vibrating evey time I put on the brakes just after I had new tires put on it, I took it back to the tire store and they checked and said everythig was fine.. well the more I drove it the worse it got. I talked to a friend of mine and he said that he read that in most cases if your wheels vibrate when you put on your brakes your rotors are either warped or have hot spots., well since it never did this before I got new tires he said that I needed to check the wheel torque. I got a torque wrench and started checking at the 100 Ft LB setting the Owners manual said. I found 3 lugs were less than 100Ft. lbs, and 2 were over 100 by at least 20 ft lbs.
that was on one wheel, the other I foune one lug nut was hardly over finger tight, and the other 4 were all different.. I loosened them all up and retightened them correctly the way you are supposed to , the vibration was still there, so I assumed the rotors were already warped too badly. I bought me a new set of high performance cross drilled and slotted rotors and new Ceramic pads and installed them Saturday.. Man what a difference... I followed the manufacturers of the rotors and pads break in procedure and now my HHR stops better than ever..
So you need to insist that your wheels always be torqued to the proper level and NEVER let them use an air impact wrench to tighten them.
Absolutely 100% correct!

Chris
Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote