Thread: 1LE?
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2009, 03:10 PM   #23
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Drives: Long Distances
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
Heavy duty suspensions does not a sports car maketh.

Other than that, yeah they have Onstar delete options in these vehicles, but what I am saying is that changing even a minor thing like not having onstar and maybe not having power heated mirrors would require possibly a different wiring harness. The factory would also have to stock extra parts that they don't normally have.

If the '1LE' had no radio/XM/onstar, they would need to stock another roof panel that didn't have a hole stamped in it for the shark fin, or they would have to develop a 'plug' for the hole, and then that's ANOTHER part that they have to research and make.

No power windows means you'd need a different wiring harness and you would also have to have 2 different types of door panels: Ones with holes for power window buttons, and ones with no holes for power window buttons but holes for window cranks.

And any time that GM deviates from the norm and makes another option, the process gets one step less streamlined. Losing efficiency and having to take extra time installing different wiring harnesses and making sure you have enough non-power window door panels costs GM more money per car. This cost gets passed on to everyone buying ANY type of camaro.

As the Fbodfather has said on here before, when the Camaro was still in development, the accountants were almost getting into fistfights over items that were raising the production costs by a few cents.

For the very small amount of people that would want a 'stripper' car like the OP is suggesting and I am commenting on, GM will not turn a profit on it, and the money they lose on such a venture will get passed on to my fellow Camaro buyers.

Now on the topic of a TRACK-PACK: Yeah if GM wanted to make something like that availiable as an option on EVERY model of Camaro, I could see that turning a profit, because it is something available to everyone ordering a Camaro
By heavy duty suspension I was referring to parts such as sway bars that improve handling...these parts are standard in police vehicles that need to maintain handling at high speeds. And that my man is VERY MUCH part of what makes a sports car! If you don't know that, then there is no sense commenting further. As for the 1LE option, GM's fleet division already has parts that could be used. Really, it would not be that difficult to put together the package.