View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #220
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
I don't see why GM would put the ZL! tro sleep. It makes no sense to me especillay for the Gen 6. The base V8 Camaro can have the LT1 (compete with GT), the Z28 will be NA LT4 (LS7 replacement to compete wiht the Boss) and the ZL1 (supercharged LT engine to compete with the GT500). There is a HUGE market for supercharged V8s and if GM ended the ZL1 it would be IMO the dumbest thing they done this century. There is also a HUGE need for the serius road course guys a NA V8. As the Mustang and 1LE has proved there is room for both.

As for now, the LS7 is almost certain, at least based on all the tidbits and rumors. The only question is whetehr it gets the Z28 name which I think it will.
...because, the new very stringent CAFE requirements for 2016 gives rise to that thought I feel. Car manufacturers, especially those making high performance models such as Ford and Chevy, will be shrinking model availability, not increasing it. Performance level options as a trend will be downsizing, and overkill horsepower cars will be priced at a premimium. Less consumer spendable income and the lack of foreseable economic growth are forcing manufacturers to contract, rather than tool up for growth in a climate where the GOV is not smiling on cars with ravenous appetites for fossil fuel consumption. We are in the twilight of the rebirth of the Detroit HP nuclear war waged many decades ago in the glory years. There will be SHP cars no doubt, but they will be shrinking in choice, and increasing in cost accordingly. How many niche cars/models, made in low volumes, can they support in an ever faster growing competitive market where the bottom line gets tighter and tighter? Just some thoughts....