View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 03:03 AM   #24
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaropete View Post
Catback exhaust will give you a little more power (better exhaust flow) and a "better" exhaust note (louder with more growl). I got it with mine.

From Wikipedia:

Cat-back
Cat-back (also cat back and catback) refers to the portion of the exhaust system from the outlet of the catalytic converter to the final vent to open air. This generally includes the pipe from the converter to the muffler, the muffler, and the final length of pipe to open air.

Cat-back exhaust systems are a very popular aftermarket performance enhancement. They generally use larger diameter pipe than the stock system. Good systems will have mandrel-bent turns that allow the exhaust gas to exit with as little back pressure as possible. The mufflers included in these kits are often glasspacks, again to reduce back pressure. If the system is engineered more for show than functionality, it may be tuned to enhance the lower sounds that are lacking from high-RPM low-displacement engines.
I'm not too familiar with all the "enhancement" stuff like this either. What exactly does this add to it? Like what do you mean by "more power"? I'm just wondering what the benefits are, aside from the "louder" sound, which I would definitely like. How much is the option? And is it RPO or LPO? Or neither?

Thanks
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote