View Single Post
Old 12-17-2007, 12:40 PM   #6
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28camaro2471 View Post
Some backyard methods!

If it has an electric fuel pump, when you turn the key to the run position, you should hear a noise from the gas tank. In simple terms, the pump is priming the engine for starting. Essentially performing the simple one pump method used on cars with carbs before starting. Almost a lost art these days! No noise? Could be a fuel pump issue.

If it is carbureted, you could take off the air cleaner and work the throttle linkage. You should see gas spraying down through the carb into the intake. No gas? Could be the filter or pump. You could disconnect the fuel line after the pump but before the filter and turn over the motor. Put something like a plastic drink bottle over the disconnected fuel line. If after you turn over the motor there is gas in the bottle, it's not your fuel pump.

Could be a million things, but it all boils down to spark, fuel and oxygen. One of those is missing if your car won't run.
thanks. If what I am going to try doesn't work I will probably try what you wrote above. I have changed the fuel filter before, and I don't think it was too long ago. While the fuel filter is off, that does sound like a way to quickly see if gas was pumped.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote