View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #21
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Drives: Supercharged 2010 SS, 2016 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parag View Post
ok nobody seems to actually have gears when they talk. i have a 2010 2SS M6 and i put in 4.10 gears. the gears make a HUGE difference. with the stock 3.43 gears, one the test drive i said shit i NEED gears. i am used to driving 60's muscle cars. on the stock car my shift speeds were 55,75,105 and with the new 4.10's they are now 45,55,75,105
They shaved almost a full second off my quarter mile times. they are ridiculously easy to drive. i can actually just drop the clutch slowly with no throttle and it will not die. I highly reccomend 4.10 gears. there is no whine with my richmond set. the cost was 1800 for me cause i paid 650 for install and i purchased diff mounts. it took the installer a full 16 hours!!!! with a stock car i would high reccomend 4.33 gears but not if you do any mods. with mods they just slip too much. since i actually know how to drive the extra shift is not a problem for me at all. when accelerating i used to be barely able to break tire loose without being violent. now its really hard to get my 0-60 time down because it either slips or i baby it. with stock motor and accelerating hard i break tire loose enough to enter drift when shifting into 2 and chirp the tires on 3. and wow what a difference, soooooo much more fun!!!! I drove a supercharged car and i would take mine anyday
I have to agree with this. I've had my 4.10s for well over a year and 20K miles. The car is a blast to drive around town and it gets moving so much easier (felt sluggish with the stock gears)--like a completely new car. It's like having an extra 80 lb/ft of torque at your wheels. I am getting my cam installed this week, so after it's done, I'll let you know how it feels (thanks again for your help on my cam thread, Dr Jkel)...

Anyway, I highly recommend 4.10/4.11 gears, if you can find a reputable installer. Mine got them set up and installed in 6 hours and I had no noticeable whine (starting to get some now, so I'm having the Dif. fluid changed to Royal Purple to see if that helps). Total parts/labor (with install kit and fluids) was $1400, but worth every penny, IMHO. As for the size of the cams, generally you want more aggressive gears with the bigger cams to make up for power/torque lost down low. However, if you're going with boost, I wouldn't go larger than 3.73s or you'll be fighting for traction. Heck, if I push my car, even with the stock cam, traction can get dicey at the upper RPMs with my [not-so-sticky] street tires!
Mods: Forged 416 LS3, Maggie TVS 2300 SC (~11 psi), custom cam (232/247, .630/.630, 118 LSA), 90-lb. injectors, ZL1 fuel pump & ADM controller, Alky Control meth kit, Monster LT1-SC twin-disk clutch, ZL1 drivetrain conversion w/ DSS 1000-HP axles & 1-pc. driveshaft, CAI Inc. intake w/ ADM scoop, XS Power full exhaust (1 7/8" LT headers with 3" off-road pipes), VMAX CNC-ported TB, LSR adjustable sway bars, LPE rear end-links, BMR 1" drop, BMR polyurethane bushings; UMI trailing arms & toe rods. Built & tuned by Kraftworks. 755 rwhp/708 rwtq

Last edited by fldrummer; 09-08-2011 at 04:03 PM.
fldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote