View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 08:50 AM   #103
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
As a Camaro Enthusiast for 45 years now I can say this. The Camaro has and always will be about the motor. Camaro and overall performance go hand and hand. Like I said the zl1 has really addressed some issues and the engineers have made great strides with such items as the new rear end, Downforce, and street handling. But my guess is that Brakes wont hold up longer than 20 min on a road course and suspension mods will be needed for Drag racing. If you are wanting a performance luxury model it is called CTS V. The zl1 is clearly going to be the flagship of the Camaro line up but it is another segment car meant to appeal to limited group of buyers. My question is why not just throw the ls9 into it and take it to the factory limits from the get go. Its going to take all the HP and torque you can give it to get the 4200 lbs moving. As Bob Lutz would always say.. WHY?
They have the parts bins....They have the resources....Why let the zl1 be anything but the very very top of the line in ALL catigories.
In a nutshell, I've been a Camaro guy like you since the beginning. I disagree that they are just about the motor, but agree they are about overall performance. Thats what the ZL1 is about, overall performance across all catagories, with refinements. Never before have we had so much performance engineered into a Camaro. If we need more, we can always do mod's to it like you have listed across the bottom of your signature line. Then, it will be exactly what we want it. We have discussed LS9's, LS7's, Z-28, FE4, Pedders upgrades, coilovers...whatever you name it in any comination from A to Z already throughout many forums on Camaro5. There are still several years left for the Gen5 body, DI is coming and the LS family will move into the history books with it I surmise. Maybe we will get a LS9 powered option with a different performance package at the end of the Gen5 run, who knows. However I think Chevy has a brand uniqueness in mind between Corvette and Camaro where there is a distinction and seperation intentionaly designed into the product as far as power plants are concerned and pricing has alot to do with it. Heck, get a crate LS9 from Chevy Performance products and plug one in yourself. That would be awesome!.