View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #48
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilKnightFalcon View Post
Well the decision here seems pretty clear. I'm not psychic and don't have any insider knowledge but I think you can bank on GM offering an automatic ZL1.

Think about this, how many Corvettes do you see driving around and how many GT500 Mustangs do you see driving around? The cost of a base C6 is pretty close to the cost of a GT500 but far more people buy Corvettes. I can only speak for Arizona but I see Corvettes daily...I can't remember the last time I saw a GT500 on the road. There are two reasons for that: the GT500 doesn't have a setup that makes it useable for daily driving and Ford doesn't offer an automatic. With the ZL1 GM has created a car that is easily usable for daily driving. If they offer it with an automatic then not only will they beat the GT500 performance wise but they will absolutely destroy it in sales numbers.
But this is the NEW GM.... remember....

And I'm not sure those numbers are accurately reflected. Though it's nearly 2 to 1 in favor of the auto, I think, OF THE PEOPLE WHO WOULD ACTUALLY BUY A ZL1, many of the auto guys would go with a manual if it were the only choice. They can drive one, they just prefer not to. Some it would be a deal breaker for, but so be it. Though I see better cars being made, as far as outward operation, I don't see much difference in method.

To get a more acurate idea of how an auto would sell, you'd need to poll people who would and could buy a ZL1. I'm in that category, but I already got my car and refuse to trade up. Mine is as fast and a few more dollars I can throw some more suspension on there. This thing won't sell as well as hoped.