View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #20
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
well here is an update.

We installed a 20 panel system, that generates 4.0 kWH per hour at peak.. it's been working for just over a month, we average 18.0 kWH per day generation, lowest was 10.6 on an overcast day highest was 19.7.

Switched over to time of use and net metering, meaning the meter runs both directions, it runs forward for consumption, and backwards for generation. Southern Cal Edison pays us $0.25 kWH during peak, and charges us $0.19 kWH off-peak (but $0.25 during peak if you use more than we generate).

Since March when we moved in our electric bill has been between $300 and $480 / month.. Our baseline is only 10.2 kWH per day which breaks out to 0.42 kWH per hour or 4200 watts on standard tiered pricing it is $0.13 for 30% over base, $0.16 for 60% over base, $0.25 for 100% over base and $0.33 for 200% or more over base then you take into account 2 refridgerators @ approx 1200 (1.2kW) watts each, couple of fans @ 400 - 500 watts each to keep the house cool and a 4-ton HVAC @ 6,000 watts (6kW), not to mention radios, lights, wi-fi, clocks, security system/cameras, cable modem, garage door opener, electric ignited gas tankless water heater, hair dryers, blah blah blah.. 10.2 kWH is nothing, barely enough to get an 1800 sq ft. home with 3 people and 2 dogs thru about 1/3 of a day..

Well after 1 month of solar, my electric bill is $2.00 .. yes $2.00

Now we take into account the cost of the Solar, $20,000

subtract the $1,100 power company rebate
subtract the $8,600 federal tax rebate

Leaves me with an out of pocket cost for the solar of $10,300, which was financed on a HELOC loan for 10 years @ 2.99% with a monthly payment of $135

So technically my electric bill is $137 this month..

----

total payback on the system before I break even will be about 5 years considering an average annual electric bill of $3500.. and I plan on having this loan paid off by then.

after that I will be saving $3000+ a year in electrical utility fees.

I am also considering some wind turbines to offset the overcast/cloudy winter days, a nice 1.8kWH system is about $6,000, but I am going to wait a year and see if it is even needed.

My next project for this is some backup batteries so if/when power is out we will still be able to have lights in the house.. Using the solar to charge a couple of Optimas and run some 12 volt LEDs recessed lighting in the hallways and front rooms. Should be able to have light for 7-10 days that way with no power..

We have already have set up LPG backups for our tankless hot wanter heater and BBQ grills, in under 30 minutes I can convert them from CNG to LPG with manual ignition so we will have hot water and be able to cook in the event something happens and the CNG lines are cut off..