Thread: cold air intake
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 05:29 AM   #31
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Dang, is this what it looks like when I'm arguing with Axis and Litle?!

As far as intakes are concerned, I could care less what any test says...to a certain degree. Tests can be manipulated. And I definitely disregard any other person's input on any of the major mods. Why? Because time and time again I have seen people merely state that whatever brand they particularly purchased is "the best hands down" while every other brand is total crap. Therefore, from what I have seen and from my experience in dealing with cars, I would recommend any CAI that seals itself off from the engine bay...even with the hood open. Some CAIs are designed to seal off when the hood is shut. They are ok...after all, it's not like you're driving around town with your hood open. But they aren't my cup of tea. Fenderwell CAIs are good because they are totally away from the engine bay. I did not go that route because I do not wanna feel the panic that comes up every time we have a rain storm and I approach a huge puddle.

So for me personally, the choice was between CAI and Vararam. I like CAI because it is sealed off from the engine and there is no way to draw in any water from large puddles...unless your car is submerged. I don't like it tho because it is the typical look with nothing that stands out from the typical crowd on first glance. And the placement of the box doesn't do it for me as far as available outside air. Vararam seems to be able to draw in the coldest possible air especially when the vehicle is moving. The only thing I dislike is that it can possibly draw in heat from the radiator. However, the heat shield that comes with it helps in that department I'm sure. So all said and Done, and I went with Vararam. Money isn't an issue for me, but the $100 cheaper price is always a plus. I even factored in that the Vararam might draw in water from rain or the car wash. But I have not had any issue in rain...and I simply shut the car off in the wash tunnel. So all in all, look over what you want, how much you wanna spend, and what advantages/disadvantages matter or not to you and go from there. Performance-wise, not one of them will benefit you over the other.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote