Thread: cold air intake
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 03:46 AM   #32
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
An air intake system that helps your car breath easier will make your car more fun.

Unless you do testing of the intakes on the same car, in the same time frame, on the same dyno, with the same conditions, changing nothing on the car other than the intake, I wouldn't trust the numbers. If you use different cars, that changes the data.

With the testing, the commanded AFR should be the same to determine how the unit effects the final AFR. The fuel trims shouldnt factor into the test if they are stable. They shouldnt be plus XX on one test and minus XX on another test. That makes the data not reflect the same conditions for test.

Commanded timing and actual timing should remain close to the same at WOT for the test.

Weather conditions should be the close to the same.

IAT should be the close to the same to determine how much they rise during the run. If you pulling timing because of the IAT table on one test and none on another test, that's going to effect the final numbers.

Phil
Which is EXACTLY what the Jannetty test was. Same car, same day, baseline run, nothing changed but temp throughout the day and the intakes. Best of 3 runs after all temps were brought up to normal operating temp. Ambient, IAT, knock, AFR, and a few other data points were recorded. Oh, it was streamed live for all to watch.

As I've said numerous times, it's not the end all/be all of CAI tests but it's the best we have to date.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote