View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 10:10 PM   #12
fireresq157

Drives: 1997 SS & 2010 2SS/RS
The Z28 name has always been special in the Camaro world. What still eludes me is why the Z28 was being planned to be the top dog. I do mean "was" and I'll get back to that later. The Z28 from inception was like a track pack package hence the code Z28 that later became a badge. It had a race car type suspension and higher RPM engine but still produced lower HP numbers than the SS. The years that they have made both, the SS has always been top model. The years that their was no SS the Z28 has been the top model. Ok besides those facts some biased people will argue that the z is and has always been the top dog History is not on their side. Who knows what logic gm will or is using to reach that conclusion. I'm sure most people making an argument for the Z previously owned Z28s or own one now.
Anyhow back to the "was" . I would be greatly surprised if GM continues development or completes the Z28 model. Given their current situation and that of the economy and fuel price instability, it’s not happening. Not to mention the whole MPG people in congress going nuts, the same ones holding the purse strings. It would send the wrong message at the wrong time. I don't know about 2012 but I can assure you it was in the works and that was the design that was coming out with the new bumblebee in transformers. It took us 2+ years from the movies debut to production, maybe that’s a guide for the time frame for the z28 who knows. If I see a future for the car it would be with and aftermarket installer like SLP or a kit bought from GMPP. That will allow GM to circumvent the MPG mandates around the corner. Maybe it won't be what we all are thinking. It may be a lighter car with upgraded suspension and a supercharged V6 that still delivers good numbers in the fuel economy category.
BTW for those that may say I'm biased my 97 SS started life as a z28. It is actually coded for that so in a sence i have both a SS and Z28. Now for those 2 years 96 and 97 SLP brought back the SS nameplate and made all the alteration. Since SLP was doing that with authorization from GM. They(GM) would not be exempt from the MPG laws. I talked to Fbod-father about that some time ago. He clarified some things for me and what I have posted is merely my opinion. That being said if they sold SLP the rights to the Z28 name, they can produce them and GM would not be penalized.

Last edited by fireresq157; 05-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.