View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimorejohn1 View Post
Yes I saw that and I noticed how things they don't sell all seemed to do pretty bad......

I like the GM testing myself because it was much more unbiased.....
Seems like so many in here are just pouncing threads to push their hidden agenda.....

So yes I saw the test but I wouldn't call it independent.....
This is an independent study:

On the aesthetic side of things, the Aircharger system looks like a very high quality OEM stock component under the hood (with the exception of the polished filter cap), and looks like it belongs there. Also, when we took the car to wide-open-throttle on our dyno runs there was a very noticeable difference in the sound of the intake, and a very slight change in the exhaust note of the SS. Over all, the car just sounded more aggressive.
  • Baseline Rear Wheel HP: 312.9 HP
  • Baseline Rear Wheel Torque: 331.5 Ft/Lbs
  • K&N Aircharger – Rear Wheel HP: 337.9 HP - increase of 25.0 rwhp
  • K&N Aircharger - Rear Wheel Torque: 352.26 Ft/Lbs - increase of 20.76 ft/lbs
Also this was done by GM:

So, is the K&N Typhoon intake all style and no substance? Well, as it turns out you can have your under-hood bling with plenty of power to go with it. With the Typhoon, we gained just under 24 horsepower, and over 23 pound feet of torque over stock – that’s just 1 horsepower less than the Aircharger, and 2 pound feet of torque more.

Our best dyno numbers for the K&N Typhoon on the L99 SS were 336.9 horsepower, and 355.1 pound feet of torque. Let’s just say, that power gain is probably within the statistical variance of our dyno. However, if you want to ignore variance, the plastic air charger out powered the aluminum tube intake by 1 hp, but fell short by a few ft/lbs.
  • Baseline Rear Wheel HP: 312.9 HP
  • Baseline Rear Wheel Torque: 331.5 Ft/Lbs
  • K&N Typhoon – Rear Wheel HP: 336.9 HP - increase of 24.0 rwhp
  • K&N Typhoon- Rear Wheel Torque: 355.16 Ft/Lbs - increase of 23.6 ft/lbs
http://www.lsxtv.com/tech-stories/en...ntake-options/
Except its only comparing different K&N products. All this tells me is that if I was going to buy K&N I'd buy the Aircharger one. Doesn't tell me how K&N does against other companies.