View Single Post
Old 10-20-2021, 01:13 AM   #19
serper3

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
- While full EV's have been a toy for the 1% for a little while, they are moving a bit more in the direction of being mainstream. The new wall they are pushing up against is a combination of infrastructure to support the significant demand increase for charging and straight-up cash to buy. There are plenty of areas where median income simply will not support the ability to purchase EV's at the price point most are demanding.
I just don't think the tech is there yet for how big the push to electric has been.

I saw an article recently that said that out of all people that have purchased fully electric vehicles in the last 5-7 years (dont recall the exact time frame), about 1 out of 4-5 people decided to go back to a non fully electric car.

Close to me there are several tesla superchargers lots. Tesla/fanboys try to sell you on : just go eat or shop for 30 min while your tesla charges... in reality 85% of these people sit in their cars while they charge smh

If you are wealthy, it is a lot easier to live with 1 of 4 of your cars being electric. harder if you live in an apartment, have only 1 car per person, and can't charge your car at your house overnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome383Z View Post
Same. I might drive 1k miles in a couple days for work in the Midwest, again I like electric cars, the instantaneous torque is outstanding. But I can’t risk running a battery low and being late for a meeting because I have to charge for 30min at a gas station (if I can find a fast charging station). And yeah my truck, no way will I consider electric for that.

However I do think there’s a decent population of 1500 buyers that really don’t use a truck as a truck, and would be fine with electric.

It’s going to be interesting for sure. I just hope GM doesn’t shoot themselves in the ass by investing 100% in a tech that is unknown at this point. Tesla did well because they targeted the affluent “green” group. That market is only so large… and honestly I still think it’s a small percentage of the overall market.

Unless the government forces it, but that could change in 2024. Still think it’s a risk…
I think electric cars will be cool in their own way. I am planning on waiting 5-7ish years and by then hopefully the charging times and range will improve drasitically. Think what will happen though with current electric cars when the tech improves significantly. I think over the course of a few years as production ramps up, any existing electric cars will fall substantially in value.
serper3 is offline   Reply With Quote