View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 08:47 AM   #1026
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
First, a little background...

We work in a salty air, and salt water environment... Salt gets into everything.... and corrodes EVERYTHING... Tools, equipment, the rig itself...

I had the barge captain come to me this morning with a air operated five foot long ratchet type tool, that wasn't working...

It looks like it's 30 years old, and they just got it about two years ago... It's been used once, and then was stored in the lower hull, in... you guessed it.... a salt laden atmosphere... It doesn't work...

Instead of storing it in the container it came in in one of the atmospherically controlled areas, it was leaned up against a bulkhead... where it has been knocked over, run into, dropped, and left for junk... until now when they actually need it... yesterday...

So, with no drawings or instructions of any type or a parts list, I am rebuilding the silly thing... the 9,000 dollar thing...

It amazes me when I see stuff like this... especially from people that are anal about their stuff when they are not on the rig.... Their attitude is well if it doesn't work, we'll order another one...

And that usually works, but damn, they are cutting into my profit sharing...

The part that kills me is they can't fix it themselves, yet they refuse to take care of it... dohhhhhh........
Obviously you guys are about as close to being on a boat as it gets...

I can say from my time in the Navy... I know exactly what you mean... My dad preached and preached to me that taking care of tools and testers was part of wrencing. the job wasn't done till the tools were clean oiled and put away!!!!

Man, some of the worst "talkin to's" were over him not being able to find a tool.... that I used last...

When I was in the Navy, and I'd see how we'd treat some very expensive tools for Helo Maintenance... I mean damn... Blew me away.. I wasn't a maintenance guy but every now and then I'd clean and rebuild a ratchet or trouble shoot some test equiment.... The maintenance guys would get all pissed than an Aircrewman could fix their gear...

Any way... enough patting myself on the back... I Know your pain Rob. :(
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote