View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #1027
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Well, the wrench is fixed... in spite of the guys that use it....

They bought this 9,000 dollar wrench to perform monthly PM's, and for emergencies, and they used it one time when they first bought it and haven't touched it since...

We call if the Alabama Slammer with affection... A couple of people that have used it thinking no problem, have been slammed to the deck or flung across the space... Fortunately no one has been hurt using it... and after the first time of getting thrown around, they usually go and read the directions.... and all of them save one have been from Alabama...

I suppose I shouldn't use it as I was born there...

I basically tore the whole thing down and figured it out as I went... Had to make a basket full of o-rings and searched for two hours to find a bearing to replace one that was froze up... but it's running again... for how long, who knows....

Just heard a funny... to me it is... Our rig electrician is in the Starboard lower hull, and the elevator went out... and he is the only one that knows how to fix it... and it has to be fixed up in the caisson, so.... he may miss dinner.... lol... He's too damn big to crawl out the hatch... I'll go down there in a little while to see if I can help and to laugh at him...

He's a good guy and a good friend... he'll get over it... maybe I'll drop some down to him....

I'm really not a cruel person, but when stuff like this happens, the recipient is always the brunt of the jokes for a while.... No one gets hurt and the problem gets resolved... It's just an inconvience....and no situation goes without the victim suffering more than just the event out here... The offshore work environment is tough...and the people that stay any length of time are tougher... leave your feelers on the beach...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote