View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 12:51 PM   #6
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Hi Avalnch,

I hope I'm not intruding on this thread, but since it is specifically mentioning our products, please allow me to explain why we have made specific decisions on the design of our sway bars (If it wasn't your intention to have manufacturers chime in, just let me know). My comments below are meant to be referencing Pfadt Race Engineering products only. We stay away from commenting specifically on the products of a competitor, as often as necessary.

Our Pfadt Sport Package swaybars, include the following: A solid front bar with one position attachment machined ends, and a hollow rear bar, with three position (adjustable) attachment machined ends. In both cases, we started with specific rates we wanted to achieve for what we consider an appropriate "balance" of the Camaro chassis, with both stock springs and upgraded drop springs.

We chose a solid front bar design because it achieved the rate we wanted, with the geometry we chose, and had a minimum weight disadvantage compared to the hollow front bar we had also designed and tested. Quite simply, using the hollow design (of Pfadt Front sway bars, not speaking for competitors) did not have any monumental advantages, due to the weight decrease not being a large percentage (for the rate Pfadt chose).

The rear bar, on the other hand, allowed for hollow bar application on a simpler geometry, to achieve the rate that we wanted and delivered a large weight savings. Quite honestly, some people like light components on their car, some are indifferent. We want to convey that it was very advantageous in the design our our Sport Rear Sway Bar, to have the weight savings over an appropriately sized solid rear bar (achieving the same roll resistance). Since the design options allowed us to achieve the same rate, with a heavier design, or a lighter design, we obviously chose the lighter design. This lighter design carries absolutely no negative effects as a result.

Both front and rear bars have our machined ends, welded in, and is just one of those design decisions we make to control tolerances better in our manufacturing process, and produce a better product for the customer.

We are looking into adding other Pfadt components to our Pfadt Sport Package, for an added cost savings to the customer. These componetns are all designed to work together. There are a couple of directions we may go in. Look for an announcement very soon for details. Or PM me for more info.

Thank you for considering our products, let us know if you have any questions!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote