View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #4100
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
My Official Title is SubSea Engineer...

My responsibilities are to maintain and test the BOP's, (Blow Out Preventers), the Marine Riser, (the pipe that allows us to run the BOP's down to the sea floor and returns mud to the rig) maintain the Drill String Compensator ( the device that hangs from the crown of the derrick and allows the drill bit to sit smoothly on the bottom of the hole without bouncing as the rig moves and heaves, the diverter, which allows us to redirect and control or "divert" any well bore materials coming out of the hole... The BOP's are roughly 50 ft tall, and weigh in around 400,000 lbs... We pick it up and move it around on the rig as needed to tear it apart and rebuild it... Every EOW... In addition to that, we are responsible for a thousand other things... We are responsible for the hydraulic hoses and a lot of the hydraulics on the rig... The biggest part of this is the Koomey Unit, which controls all of the hydraulic functions on the BOP's and the diverter system... There are around 60 panel valves, POD valves, POD hoses, mixing units, etc... In domestic locations on a small rig like this, there is typically only one Subsea hand on the rig at any given time... In international locations, there are usually two of us... A resident hand (me) and a trainee that works nights...

Remind me when I get home and I'll show you a video of the drill string compensator... It's pretty amazing to see how big it is... The top drive and compensatorlook like a school bus going up and down.... Everything on the rig is big, heavy and hard... Except us... and we have to remember that all the time,.....
Sorry to get off topic, but you know me. This stuff really intrigues me

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
So your a SubSea Engineer that works for you 2SS Camaro.

Hmmm..... You should use that somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Hmmm, got me thinking there... How can I utilize that...???
Hmmm... a 7-character license plate "SS ENGNR" maybe

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote