View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
I would be curious to know how the sub was wired. If it's 4ohm DVC, it's either 2 ohm, or 8 ohm (you can't wire one 4ohm DVC to be 4ohm). If it was accidentally wired in 8 ohm... I would doubt your audio shop wired it wrong, but there is always the chance. DVC can come in more than just 4ohm coils, and if there was a mistake about what the coils were, could be wired wrong. If they somehow thought it was a 2ohm DVC, wired in series for 4 ohm, but it was actually a 4ohm DVC... just saying. I know that sub only comes in 4ohm, but just providing example. The reason you don't have that problem with the JL "slash" series amps, is because the power supply will adjust to always put it's rated power out, weather it's 2 ohms or 4. Your current amp puts out RMS power dependant on the load. That amp/sub combo is pretty ideal.
Wiring it at 8 ohms would probably cause damage to the amp before the sub though - unless it was too quiet and the op clipped it. So many variables...

How was the gain set?
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote