View Single Post
Old 12-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #21
Unobtainium
Fabricator

Drives: 2011 2SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
There is no way that a modern power steering pump is 20 hp. Not at all. Especially when you aren't actually turning the wheel.

Agreed

I believe they said 'at least 500 hp', maybe they used 505. Even if they did say 'at least 505' then when it actually does make 505, well they're still ok ... because 'at least' means 'equal to or greater than'

The Z/28 is SAE certified at 505 hp & 481 ft-lbs. You can't under-rate an engine by 10% and maintain SAE certification on it. The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) probably wouldn't take too kindly to that. Additionally, the Z/28 hits its power and torque peak at different RPMs than the Z06 does. That doesn't happen if you're just giving placeholder numbers.

As for the 161 mph ... let me put it this way: would you be willing to take a prototype car past 161 mph on one of the worlds deadliest tracks, in the rain?
Recently I would have agreed, but clearly this isn't true of all cars.
Local guy bought a gt500, ran it on 2 different dyno's bone stock. Big numbers.
600 on the dyno jet, can't remember the other one. Got tired of the terrible tranny, sold it and got brand new ZR1. Took to same 2 dyno's. The power difference was way over 28hp. I think it was 40. Head scratcher, but my guess is that 600whp doesn't equal 660 SAE...
393whp L99
GPI VVT Turbo Cam-in
Unobtainium is offline   Reply With Quote